At its Board meeting on Wednesday, 27th April 2022 the Accident Compensation Commission, Fiji (ACCF) CEO Mr. Parvez Akbar highlighted that World Day for Safety and Health at Work is on Thursday 28th April 2022 and the theme is act together to build a positive safety and health culture. Employers, employees and all stakeholders must take a collaborative approach in avoiding and averting risks, and preventing incidents of illnesses and accidents in the workplace.
In this regard, ACCF is a leading voice in creating awareness on health and safety at work, and in particular the building of a positive safety and health culture. This includes daily engagement on social media, face to face and online presentations with the public, stakeholders and interested parties in the private and public sector. ACCF also regularly identifies potential breaches of health and safety obligations and refers them to the relevant authority.
Leaders can do the following to support a positive safety and health culture:
- Take a consultative approach to health and safety.
- Celebrate safety successes.
- Develop an environment which encourages reporting of safety concerns.
- Focus on positive safety outcomes and do not play the blame game.
- Encourage workers to take individual ownership for health and safety and make health and safety a part of everyday business.
Creating a positive safety culture is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your workplace and leaders play a crucial role in achieving this.
The ACCF Board acknowledged the payment of more than $28 million in compensation to victims and families of victims of motor vehicle, employment and school accidents.